Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Was I missing something?

To me, being a mother has been the best "job" I could ever have.  It has defiantly been the hardest job but it has also been my most rewarding.  Granted it is a 24-7 kinda job with no holiday or vacation pay and I rarely ever get a sick day or get to have a full hour lunch break. But then again the benefit package is pretty awesome... and I do like to flirt with my hot boss (the hubby)!!
But then I had an epiphany that led me to this conclusion--- that although being a mom was my job, it really shouldn't be this much work!! Why did I feel like I had to work so darn hard to enjoy being a mom? Why did I have to work so hard to get everything done? Don't they say "if you do what you love than it's not really work at all?"  THEN WHY DOES BEING A MOM FEEL LIKE WORK?  Was I missing something!!!???
Then it hit me.... I was working way to hard on all the wrong things!! I was working hard at making sure the house was clean and the laundry was done.  I was working hard at planning parties and volunteering my time at church and school.  I was working hard at running errands and organizing the chaos of our schedules.  I was working hard on all the "fluff" of what people perceive a good mom to look like but in reality I was missing out on all the substance of what a good mom should be. I was missing out on just being with my family and missing out on watching them grow up.  I was often finding myself hustling around,  making sure everything was neat and orderly, everyone was happy and taken care of.  And in doing so I was missing out on all the good stuff.
So time for a plan... time to start working hard on what truly matters and stop working so hard on what doesn't. Then maybe, just maybe, my job as a mommy wouldn't feel like work.  Yes, I still needed to clean the house, pay the bills and make sure everyone is fed, but I certainly needed to refocus on where my energy was spent and realize the hard work needed to be turned to the nurturing of my boys hearts, minds and spirits.  I certainly DO NOT have this plan all figured out... I don't think I ever truly will, but as long as I try each and every day to put my energy and time where it is needed most, than hopefully each day will be a good, successful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment